Voter FAQ

Am I on the Voters’ List?

Make sure you are on the voter’s list! You can confirm, update or add your information to the Voter’s List.

To find your Ward, use this tool:

During the 2022 Municipal & School Board Elections, qualified electors can cast their vote one of three ways. For more information, visit the Oshawa City website:

School Board Trustees—Who are they and why are they important?

Trustees are community members who are locally-elected representatives of the public. For Catholic School Boards, a Trustee must be Catholic to serve. Trustees advocate for their community and focus on student achievement and well-being. Trustees are the conduits of communication between the board and the community. Trustees are responsible for identifying the needs and priorities of their community and ensuring those needs are addressed while providing practical educational opportunities for students. Trustees must work collaboratively. An individual Trustee has no authority under the Education Act. As board members, Trustees are legally accountable to the public and to the Minister of Education for the collective decisions made by the school board. This means that once the school board has voted, it is the responsibility of the Trustee to act in a manner that promotes and upholds the board’s decision and to communicate the decision back to the community.
In the Durham Region Catholic District School Board, there are two Trustees to serve Oshawa.

Who can Vote for School Board Trustees?

An individual may vote in a school board election if, on Voting Day, they are:

  • a Canadian citizen; and
  • at least 18 years of age; and
  • an owner or tenant of residential property in the City of Oshawa; or
  • a spouse of an owner or tenant of residential property in the City of Oshawa; and
  • not prohibited from voting under any law.

Note: If you are eligible to vote in the City of Oshawa municipal elections as a result of ownership or tenancy of commercial property, you are not eligible to vote in a school board election.

  • English Separate School Board (Durham Catholic District School Board)
    • To qualify as an elector for the English separate school board, an individual must be a Roman Catholic and a supporter of the English separate school board.  English separate electors will vote for the position of Trustee on the Durham Catholic District School Board.  Two trustees will represent English separate electors in the City of Oshawa on the Durham Catholic District School Board.

Note: Supporter refers to the school board to which the school board portion of your taxes is provided.  The default is the public school system.  In order to support any school board, other than the English public, you must direct your taxes to the appropriate school system.  Please contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) for further information at 1-866-296-6722.